Some random thoughts on THE DAY (or it’s slow at work again and I’m killing time until I can get out of here and get settled in front of the TV with the rest of the world. It’s the Summer Olympics all over again!):
- Are you as stressed out as I am? Do you have a softball-sized hump in between your shoulder-blades filled with stress juice? I thought it was due to pre-party anxiety last week, but it’s still there so I bought a new pillow yesterday, and still no good. I’m going to have to buy new clothes soon to compensate for my developing dowager hump.
- I changed my computer background to this beautiful picture of a winding trail through this deep green bamboo forest in Maui we hiked through last year, in an attempt to calm myself today. Unfortunately, there’s a dark spot on the screen where I can see my reflection and I keep obsessing about how my glasses look crooked, when in fact I suspect that my ears are not… even… on my head.
- Time is going by like molasses! Polls are still open on the East Coast and even though I know there are no election results yet I can’t keep myself away from that Electoral Map Hannah hooked us all up to.
- I should have brought my night guard to wear today, as I keep finding myself with my teeth clenched. Speaking of which, does anybody else who wears a night guard find that over time they’ve developed a slight lisp? I think it’s changed my lips or something. I’ve started to sound like Drew Barrymore when I’m tired and talking, only not as adorable.
- We’re invited to watch tonight’s historic event at a gathering with some friends right after work, and we’re supposed to bring a dish to share, so I thought I’d make some tomato tarts because I have a lot of tomatoes left from the Mexican dishes I made for Saturday. Throw on some goat cheese, toasted pine nuts and chopped basil, and yum! Only I don’t have time, so Joe is making it as we speak, and the stress-hump is making its throbbing presence known because Joe doesn’t cook all that much and I have a bit of a control freak problem going in the kitchen. He recently compared me in our kitchen to a betta fish darting about territorially in its bowl.
- Even my favorite food blogger, Orangette, is seeking out comfort food to watch the results tonight. She’s leaning towards beer and brownies.
- We were watching TV last night and saw a clip of McCain speaking somewhere, blah blah, and Joe said “Whoa! Did you see that?” and we had to scroll back to see that what he thought was an alien was in fact Cindy McCain. Apparently, he’s not alone in his perception.
Later on Election Night:
Hallelujah! Hip Hip Hooray! Yay! Yippee! Wooooo hoooo! Dancing in the streets, champagne corks a-poppin’, fireworks in the sky, tears in my eyes, stress-hump be gone, ululations, jumpin’ up and clicking heels together, high fives all around, and YES WE CAN!!!