We’re not really big sports fans/viewers in my household, but we’re willing to do our patriotic duty at least once a year and watch the Superbowl. I usually drive the gung-ho, sports cap-wearing guys in my office crazy the week before by repeatedly asking “Who’s playing again?” (Most of the time I know, I mean, how could you not, but I’m a little evil that way, and I figure it’s good for their testosterone which is in question sometimes….) I don’t mind subjecting myself to a couple hours of sweaty (or steamy-I loooove it when it’s cold out and the players get all hot and the steam rises up off their bodies – very dramatic) head-bangin’, body-slammin’ men as long as I get to watch the year’s best commercials and the half-time show.Today Joe and I both have colds and are feeling pretty low-key, so we cuddled up on the leather couch under a blanket for the big game, and I thought about napping, because for years I’ve found the white-noise of a football crowd a soothing lullaby. Instead, I kept Joe company, listening to his commentary with half an ear ” Offensive pass interference?! That’s LAME!!!” and more similar comments that sounded like the adults in the Charlie Brown cartoons to my cold-addled, slightly sports-apathetic brain; Wah wah, wah wah wah wah. I’m not much of a girly-girl, but when it comes to these moments…well, here are some random thoughts I had during Superbowl XLII:
- What is with that dorky red cut-off sweatshirt thing the Patriots’ coach is wearing?
- The NY on the Giants’ helmets looks like the same font as the M & M’s logo!
- I wish we had some M & Ms….
- Look at those calves! I wonder if my calves are that big.
- Hmmm. Super-bowl…. Maybe I should make soup for dinner.
- Look at those arms!! Joe should definitely get a banded tattoo around one of his biceps.
- Are those dreads? Cool. More of the players should have dreads.
- They’ve got quite the election year color-scheme going, with the reds, whites and blues. Do I smell conspiracy?
During the half-time show:
- How old is Tom Petty?
- Is his hair actually straighter than mine?
- I remember this friend in college who played the guitar and looked just like him. Glen…I wonder what he’s doing now?
- I wonder how blonde my hair would still be naturally…
- I wish I had some black cowboy boots.
And back to the second-half:
- I can’t believe we don’t have any chips. We’re chipless!
- Will Ferrell is awesome!
- I don’t know, my favorite commercial is a toss up between the Will Ferrell Bud Light commercial and the baby eTrader ones….
- My lips are really chapped.
- Oh, hey! Looks like the Patriots won the game!
- Nope. Well, better start making that soup.